Victim Advocate

Services Provided:

  • Court Explanation & Assistance
  • Case Status Information
  • Court Escort
  • Financial Assistance
  • Community Resource Assistance

CRIME VICTIM RIGHTS (Upon Written Request)

  • To be notified of court hearings.
  • To be present at court proceedings.
  • To be informed if the defendant is released.
  • To have recovered property returned.
  • To be provided a secure waiting area for court.
  • To be informed of assistance available.
  • To receive restitution when possible.
  • To appear at sentencing and make a statement.
  • To be informed of the disposition of the case.


  1. To check the status of a charged case, type:
  2. Click on: Litigant Name Search.
  3. Search for cases in the: 26th Judicial Circuit.
  4. Type in: suspect’s last name and first name.
  5. Click on: Search.


If the defendant is placed on probation, the court may order the defendant to make restitution to pay for the cost of your injuries, damages, or loss. Restitution cannot be ordered until the case is finalized, so it may take several months or even years before you are paid in full for the loss. If restitution is ordered by the court, this office will make every effort to see that it is paid.


If you have medical expenses, funeral expenses, counseling expenses, and/or lost wages due to this crime, you may be eligible to receive money from the Crime Victims’ Compensation Fund. This fund does not cover any stolen items, damaged property, pain and suffering, or anything that was covered by insurance. The claim must be filed within two years of the date of the crime. To receive additional information regarding this fund contact the Prosecutor’s Office at (573) 346-3910 or call the Crime Victims’ Compensation Office directly at (800) 347-6881.


Bail is money or property promised to the court as security when the defendant is released with the agreement he will return to court. The court sets the bail amount based on the nature and circumstances of the crime, if the person poses a danger, criminal records, and the likelihood that the person will attempt to flee. Bail can be forfeited if a defendant fails to appear in court.

If a person is arrested for a crime in Camden County, they will be held in the Camden County Jail. As the victim, you can request to be notified by the Sheriff’s Department of their release. The Sheriff’s Department can be reached at (573)346-2243.

Personal Safety Plan

  1. Be prepared to call 911. Carry a cell phone with you. Check with your phone service provider to see the best way to call for emergency assistance. Set up speed dial for emergency phone numbers. Teach your children how to call in case of an emergency & what information needs to be given to the operator.
  2. Tell someone. If you feel threatened by anyone, tell a trusted friend, family member, employer, co-worker, child’s caregiver, or healthcare provider. Give this person details as to why you feel threatened. Devise a code word with this person, to call the police. Work with a neighbor & develop signals that when used, they know to call the police.
  3. Know where you will go. Have a room in your house with a strong lock. Stay away from rooms that have no exit doors and away from areas, like kitchens, where weapons are accessible. Have a plan on where you will go or who you will contact in case of an emergency (shelter, motel, friend, family or police station.) If you are being followed drive to a police station, hospital, fire station, or a drive-thru restaurant.
  4. Keep copies of all important paperwork. Keep copies in a safe, easily accessible location or give to a person you trust. This should include identification for you & your children, insurance information, and extra keys. Keep a set of keys in a safe place that you can get to quickly. Keep a suitcase/bag packed. Hide it or keep it with a friend.
  5. Install new or extra locks. The locks on your doors should be changed if you feel threatened by someone who had a key. Install metal doors to replace wooden doors. Add additional locks to doors and windows.
  6. Have a security system installed. Add motion detectors inside & outside. Add more outside lights.
  7. Screen your phone calls. Let the answering machine/voicemail pick up. Have a co-worker screen your calls without admitting if you are there or not. Record the calls from the person you feel threatened by.
  8. Ask people you trust to walk you to your car. Stay within a group and in a well-lit area. Constantly be aware of your surroundings. If you are walking alone, talk to someone on your cell phone or pretend to be speaking with someone on your phone. Carry a keychain alarm & pepper spray. Take self-defense classes.
  9. Remember to yell “fire”. This will draw more attention than yelling for help. Think of other shocking statements, such as “naked man” or “ugly woman”.
  10. Pay attention. Stay away from poorly lit areas. Look around and under your car for people hiding or something that could damage your car. Always keep the doors locked & check the back seat.
  11. Keep records & documentation. Keep a journal of unusual activities including the date and time. Document everything you can think of about your encounters with the person that you are threatened by. If injured, take pictures as the bruises progress. Keep all medical records of injuries.

Do I Qualify for an Order of Protection?

Type of Relationship to qualify:

  • You are dating or used to date
  • You are living with or used to live with
  • You have a child together
  • You are married to or used to be married
  • You are related by blood or marriage
  • You are being stalked (Stalking is when a person purposely and repeatedly, more than twice, engages in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm to another.)

Type of Abuse to qualify:

  • Physically abused you
  • Attempted to physically abuse you
  • Threatened to physically abuse you
  • Sexually abused you
  • Emotionally abused you
  • Unlawfully held you against your will
  • Harassed you
  • Stalked you

How do I get an order of protection? Go to the courthouse to apply for a temporary protective order (aka exparte). The judge may give you a temporary order immediately. A hearing will be scheduled within 15 days. After the hearing the judge can grant a permanent order which lasts 180 days to one year and is renewable. This service is free of charge.

Tampering with a Victim/Witness

A person commits the crime of tampering by purposely attempting to cause a witness to avoid legal process, avoid/disobey a subpoena, withhold evidence, or to testify falsely, by:

  1. Threatening or causing harm to the witness or property;
  2. Using force, threats or deception;
  3. Offers, confers or agrees to confer any benefit;
  4. Conveys the above through another person.

*This type of conduct should be reported to law enforcement.

Potential Victim Reactions in the Aftermath of Crime

Immediate and Short-Term Reactions

Some common responses to short-term trauma include the following and may last a few months:

  • Shock and confusion
  • Denial, “this can’t be happening to me”
  • Physical anxiety – rapid heart rate, hyperventilation, or stomach distress
  • Emotional anxiety – feeling fearful, guilty, and out of control.
  • Long-Term Trauma Reactions

If victim trauma is not identified and addressed, the initial short-term trauma can turn into long-term trauma reactions, including:

  • Major depression
  •  Thoughts of suicide
  •  Use or abuse of alcohol and/or drugs to cope
  •  On-going problems with relationships
  •  Anxiety disorders

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

PTSD is higher among victims of violent crimes. Many crime victims with PTSD do not recover without treatment. Some common PTSD reactions include the following:

  • Mentally re-experiencing the event. (flashbacks)
  • Extreme avoidance of anything associated with the event.
  • Persistent physical reactions, (extreme startle responses, unusual outbursts, constantly being on guard.)


Resilience is the power to cope with adversity and adapt to challenges and change. It is a process of drawing on one’s behaviors, skills, attitudes and beliefs to move beyond stress, trauma or tragedy. Aspects of resiliency are:

  • Optimism
  • Healthy Coping
  • Self knowledge
  • Finding meaning & perspective of circumstances
  • Healthy strong relationships/support networks

Victim Services

Victim Services
1 Court Circle NW, Ste. 10
Camdenton, Missouri 65020

Peggy Hunt
Phone: (573) 317-3929
Fax: (573) 346-0823

Kim James
Phone: (573) 317-3815
Fax: (573) 346-0823

Important Contacts

Missouri State Highway Patrol: Troop F
Phone: (573) 751-1000
Fax: (573) 751-6814

Missouri State Water Patrol
Administration Questions
(573) 751-5071
Emergency Phone
1-800-525-5555 or *55 (Cellular)
Fax Number
(573) 522-1287

Camden County Sheriff’s Office
Emergency: 911
Phone: 573-346-2243

Camdenton Police Department
Emergency: 911
Phone: 573-346-3604

Sunrise Beach Police Department
Emergency: 911
Phone: 573-374-7757

Linn Creek Police Department
Emergency: 911
Phone: 573-346-6200

CADV (Citizens Against Domestic Violence)
Phone: 573-346-9630
888-809-SAFE (7233)

Kids’ Harbor
Phone: 573-348-6886

Victim Referral/Resources

24-Hour Addictions

Alcoholics Anonymous

Bikers Against Child Abuse

Cedar Ridge Treatment Center

Citizens Against Domestic Violence

Dept. of Corrections-Victim’s Unit

Division of Family Services

Domestic Violence Hotline

Elderly Abuse/Neglect

Helping Hands Homeless Shelter

Kids Harbor

Lake Area Needs Initiative

Legal Aid

National Child Abuse

National Hunger Hotline

Mental Health Crisis Intervention

Missing Children Hotline

Mothers Against Drunk Drivers

MO Office for Crime Victims

Narcotics Anonymous

OATS Transportation

Parents of Murdered Children

Pathways Counseling Services

Parental Stress Helpline

Pregnancy Help Center

Red Cross

Safe at Home of Missouri

Sexual Assault Hotline

Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Victim Compensation Program